Thursday, August 16, 2012

7 Days

Cellular Service/Carriers

Around here, where I live, the biggest carriers are: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Thumb Cellular, and possibly a couple other smaller names. Anyway, I have a phone through Verizon, but I also have my brother's old phone from his plan through Sprint.    **I never know when that is going to change though. If he doesn't pay the bill, no phones for neither him nor me.**   Anyway, The cell service up north is basically just Verizon. I have been told that only Verizon and AT&T work up in that area, but I'm not quite sure. I haven't tested the Sprint phone out up there. The only reason I like the Sprint phone is because it is a smart phone. Yes, a smartphone. It's a hand-me-down, but it's like new to me! I do really like it. However, the part about possibly not having service at some point down my timeline makes me not want to trust the phone. Therefore, my mother told me to keep the Verizon phone so that I would have a phone just in case Donnie bails on paying the bill. 


The Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan

So far, I have loved this book from beginning to where I am now. I know that most of the other people that are going to be Freshman have already read the book completely, but I'd rather have the story fresh in my mind for orientation week and speaking about it with other Freshmen. According to the Orientation Week schedule, we have a certain time period where we must sit together in groups and talk about the Summer Reading Book. I don't really mind talking about this book though because it is a great book. I was so thrilled to find out that it is a true story. I know it is not entirely a good situation, with children being trafficked and all, but just to know that someone, Conor Grennan, would go WAY out of his way to help save children and reunite them with their families is amazing.

If you want to know more about this book, here is the description on the back and a link to where you can buy it online for yourself (or it is also at Meijer):

In search of adventure, twenty-nine-year-old Conor Grennan embarked on a yearlong journey around the globe, beginning with a three-month stint volunteering at an orphanage in civil war-torn Nepal. Bet a shocking truth would forever change his life: these rambunctious, resilient children were not orphans at all but had been taken from their families by child traffickers who falsely promised to keep them safe from war before abandoning them in the teeming chaos of Kathmandu. For Conor, what started as a footloose ramble became a dangerous, dedicated mission to unite youngsters he had grown to love with the parents they had been stolen from---a breathtaking adventure, as Conor risked everything in the treacherous Nepalese mountains to bring the children home.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8564644-little-princes 

Does this story not sound awesome and inspiring?! I was definitely inspired to try to make the best of every situation.


Travelling

I believe that I will be travelling the farthest for college out of all of my Class of 2012 from Mayville. However, we did have one that went into the service, Daniel Dusenberry. He just might end up travelling farther.. Not right away of course, but I'm still proud of what he is doing for our country. Anyway, a trip to my University will take about 9 - 10 hours depending on weather. With the trailer, it might just be around 9.5 hours to get there. Even though most of the travel is on highways, once you get into the U.P. it is more or less a 55mph speed limit all the way from the bridge to Houghton. I think that may feel like it takes longer anyway. It takes about 4 hours from where I am to get to the Mackinac Bridge, and then another 4 hours or so to get across the U.P. 

Speaking of the U.P. I was supposed to go see my one friend Ashlee that lives up there now.   **She, unfortunately, goes to my University's rival University.**    Ashlee goes to NMU (Northern Michigan University). I will have to figure something out.. I would really like to see her again and hang out. She is one of the funniest people you will ever meet!

Gas prices

This is a little heading below the bigger one of travelling. Gas prices need to go down a lot right about now. I would appreciate that VERY MUCH ECONOMY! There is really no real reason why gas prices have to be around $4.00 a gallon! NO REASON!!! And just because you can, does not make it okay! Some people are just so greedy. 

If you are wondering who I believe is to blame for this? I blame the CEOs of the oil companies who think they need billions of dollars all the time. Yeah, no. You don't. It is not required to live in a mansion when there is only you and a wife and possibly a kid.. A mansion is way too big and just requires more maintenance. Really.. If you didn't buy such large houses... or multiple houses, you would not need so much money to begin with! Duh! Anyway, I do not, in any way, blame the people who work at the gas stations. They are just doing their job. I understand that. That is why I would never take out my feelings on someone who is working at the gas station itself because I know that they are not entirely to blame. 

Here is a question to ponder:

If you were to work at a gas station, would you be obligated to buy gas there? What if it cheaper across the road? Might you be reprehended for buying gas elsewhere? 



Anyway, that's all for now. I will post again possibly tomorrow.


~R

No comments:

Post a Comment